xAncient Ming TombsxAn-Ping SettlementxArtillery FortificationsxBuddhist MonasteriesxCity God TemplexCity Walls & GatesxConfucian TemplexFamily ShrinesxForeign Merchant HousesxFort ProvintiaxFort ZeelandiaxHistorical WellsxHistorical Western Style ArchitecturexHouses & GardensxKoxinga's ShrinexMartial TemplesxMedical God TemplesxMemorial Stone GatesxPantheon of Universal DeitiesxPresbyterian ArchitecturexTemple of the Five ConcubinesxTemples of Heavenly Holy MotherxTemples of Supreme Emperor of Dark HeavenxVegetarian Hallsx

Buddhist Monasteries

In the seventeenth century, Buddhism was introduced into Taiwan and many Buddhist monasteries were built in Tainan, Kai-Yuan,Fa-Hua, Chu-Si, Mi-Ton, Chong-Ching Szu was demolished completely. Chong-Ching Szu and Long-shan Szu were relocated and Chu Si and Mi-Tou were rebuilt. Kai-Yuan Szu and Fa-Hua Szu still retain their original look.

Established in 1680 by Chang Ching for his mother, kai-Yuan Szu, listed as a Grade IIhistorical landmark, was a home name Pei-Yuan Pieh-Kuan Which was donated to be a Buddhist monastery in 1690 and called Hai-Hui Szu in which Sakyamini is worshipped as the main deity. It preserved original structure at the front hall and the main hall after several reconstructions. The status of Happy Buddha, Sakyamini and Four Great Heavenly Kingo are of religious and artist importance.

Originally the residence of Meng-Deh Yuan (Garden of Butterfly Dreaming), Fa-Hua Szu was built by lee Mao-Chun During the Dynasty of Ming. Fa-hua was built aside the house in 1684 to worship Sakyamini and destroyed during World War II. It was rebuilt after the war and preserved the great portraits of Four Great Heavenly Kings and mural paintings by folk artist Pan-Li-Shui. The paintings and the tombstone of Lee Mao-Chun are valued artifact.

During the Yung-Li period of the Ming Dynasty, Chu-His Szu was built and reconstructed in Chinese style in 1973. Ta Kuan-Yin Ting and Wan-Fu An also possess their Buddhist characteristics except orthodoxy Buddhist monasteries. Founded in 1678, Ta Kuan-Yin Ting (Great Pavilion of Goddess of Mercy) was the largest temple in Taiwan that worships this particular goddess. Kuan-yin is the embodiment of loving kindness and source of help in time of need and is especially popular among women and the elder people. The temple, Grade III historical landmark, preserved many valued historical treasurers. Yeh-Hsia Lao-Jen (Marriage God) is always mentioned among many other deities in the temple.

Originally build during the Yung-Liperiod of the Ming Dynasty and reconstructed in 1806, Wan-Fu An (Covert of Endless Fortune) lost it's traditional look after a recent renovation. It is listed as a Grade III historical landmark.

xAncient Ming TombsxAn-Ping SettlementxArtillery FortificationsxBuddhist MonasteriesxCity God TemplexCity Walls & GatesxConfucian TemplexFamily ShrinesxForeign Merchant HousesxFort ProvintiaxFort ZeelandiaxHistorical WellsxHistorical Western Style ArchitecturexHouses & GardensxKoxinga's ShrinexMartial TemplesxMedical God TemplesxMemorial Stone GatesxPantheon of Universal DeitiesxPresbyterian ArchitecturexTemple of the Five ConcubinesxTemples of Heavenly Holy MotherxTemples of Supreme Emperor of Dark HeavenxVegetarian Hallsx