xAncient Ming TombsxAn-Ping SettlementxArtillery FortificationsxBuddhist MonasteriesxCity God TemplexCity Walls & GatesxConfucian TemplexFamily ShrinesxForeign Merchant HousesxFort ProvintiaxFort ZeelandiaxHistorical WellsxHistorical Western Style ArchitecturexHouses & GardensxKoxinga's ShrinexMartial TemplesxMedical God TemplesxMemorial Stone GatesxPantheon of Universal DeitiesxPresbyterian ArchitecturexTemple of the Five ConcubinesxTemples of Heavenly Holy MotherxTemples of Supreme Emperor of Dark HeavenxVegetarian Hallsx

Koxinga's Shrine

Cheng Chen-Kung (1624-1662) who was known to the west as Koxinga was linked to the history of Tainan strongly. Many temples and facilities were built in An-Ping and Tainan after he expelled the Dutch in 1661. The history of the period ruled by Koxinga and his decedents can be seen in many-listed historical landmark.

Koxinga was called Kai-Tai Sheng-Wang (Taiwan Settling Holy King) and deified by some temples after his death. People worship him and his family as national hero of loyalty. Local people built Yen-Ping Chun-Wang Tzu to worship Koxinga. The imperial General of Inspection Shen Pao-Chen made a recommendation to the court that a formal shrine dedicated to Koxinga should be established after he came to Taiwan in 1874. Began in 1875, the style of the shrine was Northern Fukien and the imperial edict "Chung Chieh" Royalty and Morality" was issued. A Japanese Style pavilion was added to the shrine to function like a traditional Japanese Shinto Shrine during the Japanese occupied period. The old structure was demolished in 1961and a new Northern palatial Style was constructed in 1963.

The spatial structure of Koxinga's shrine consists the entrance portico, the main hall, and side corridors like a traditional courtyard house. There are statues of Gan Hwei and Chang Wan-Di Two generals of Koxinga, behind the entrance portico. There are spirit tablets of famous figures of the Ming Dynasty inside the side corridors.

Inside the main alter of the main hall; there is the statue of Koxinga who sits peacefully. At the real hall, there's Koxinga's mother worshipped with the Prince Ning-Ching of the Ming Dynasty. It was rebuilt in reinforced concrete in 1963. In 1966, the National Exhibition hall to the southeast of the main shrine was constructed to host valued treasures in Tainan.

Founded in 1663, three years after Koxinga's death, Cheng-Shih Chia Miao was rebuilt in 1758. Its current look is a result after the road in front was widen and preserved valued wooden tablets.

xAncient Ming TombsxAn-Ping SettlementxArtillery FortificationsxBuddhist MonasteriesxCity God TemplexCity Walls & GatesxConfucian TemplexFamily ShrinesxForeign Merchant HousesxFort ProvintiaxFort ZeelandiaxHistorical WellsxHistorical Western Style ArchitecturexHouses & GardensxKoxinga's ShrinexMartial TemplesxMedical God TemplesxMemorial Stone GatesxPantheon of Universal DeitiesxPresbyterian ArchitecturexTemple of the Five ConcubinesxTemples of Heavenly Holy MotherxTemples of Supreme Emperor of Dark HeavenxVegetarian Hallsx